Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fresh Tomato Tart


I think garden fresh tomatoes are quite possibly manna from heaven. I love all the varieties--especially the heirloom tomatoes Mike grew this year. I can't stop myself from popping the tiny teardrop tomatoes in my mouth (every five seconds, like they are candy) and from slicing up the larger beefsteak varieties, topped with salt and pepper. I am always on the search for new delicious ways to use up our crop.

I missed the boat on Quiche-tastic Monday this week, so I had some extra pie crusts. I've always wanted to make a Tomato Tart--it sounds so French. This tart is so easy--it takes minutes to put together and about 20 minutes to bake. Serve it along side a green salad and it is a perfect meal!

The goods:
Refrigerated pie crust (or make your own)
2 tablespoons hot or dijon mustard (I used Nance's Hot mustard; but a good dijon would be great)
2 medium-sized tomatoes
handful (about 6) teardrop, grape or other small tomato
Salt/Pepper
1 garlic clove, sliced extra thin
Dozen fresh basil leaves, sliced
4 oz goat cheese
Olive Oil

Make it:
1. Preheat oven to 450F

2. Roll out pie crust into a tart pan. Pitch the sides to make a nice edge.

3. Evenly spread mustard onto bottom of tart crust. Let sit while you slice tomatoes--medium tomatoes should be sliced into 1/8 inch slices; small tomatoes, slice into thirds.

4. Evenly distribute larger tomato slices on bottom of pie crust. Fill in any gaps with the small tomatoes.

5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, basil and garlic slices

6. Slice goat cheese (it won't slice neatly like other hard cheeses) and distribute on top of the tomatoes and herbs.

7. Drizzle a little olive oil on top. Bake for about 20 minutes.

8. Let sit for 5 minutes and slice. This is great room temperature or even cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment