Wednesday, July 7, 2010

An oldie, but a goodie: Seven Layer Salad

This is from my fabulous mother-in-law, Olga, who is living a fabulous life as a Grammy, wife, mother and friend. She is one of my best friends and one of the best cooks I know.

I think Seven Layer Salad is comfort food. It reminds me of potlucks and barbecues. I've experimented with other modernized versions, but nothing quite beats the original.

One note: if you have fresh peas--this absolutely rocks. Just steam the fresh peas and chill them for a couple hours before layering in your salad.

The directions are super easy:

Tear up one head of romaine lettuce in a large bowl and layer over that in order.
1/2c.celery
1/2c.green pepper
1/4c.onion
10oz. frozen peas. Thaw and dry on paper towels (or use fresh, as noted above)
1pt real mayo
2Tsugar
dash of salt
1c. grated cheddar cheese
8 strips of bacon fried crisp and crumb
Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Serve the next day. It rocks!

1 comment:

  1. My aunt makes one similar to this and I love it. SHe also put water chestnuts in it....awesome!

    ReplyDelete