Monday, April 23, 2012

Herbed Quinoa Tomato Soup

It is a rainy Monday--the perfect day for a huge bowl of soup and a good book.

Lunchtime soups can be tricky--I need to turn around a midday meal fast--often in 10 minutes or less. I am not a fan of canned soup with one exception: canned tomato soup.

I've dabbled making homemade tomato soup and it is good--but never as good as a can of Campbell's tomato soup.

I love to dress up canned tomato soup with simple add-ins. A sprinkle of Tabasco and some cheddar cheese is amazing; as is leftover Mexican rice. My new favorite variation: fresh herbs and quinoa.

I have a plethora of perennial herbs going strong in my garden; plus some basil and parsley in my kitchen window. Quinoa is a new favorite staple around here--yummier and more nutritious than a side of rice. 

This recipe takes less than 10 minutes, provided you have leftover quinoa in the fridge. If you don't add about 15 minutes.

The ingredients: 
One 10 3/4 ounce can tomato soup
One cup Pre-cooked quinoa
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (your pick, I used a combo of oregano, basil, parsley and mint)
Tabasco sauce (a couple drops)
Good quality olive oil, just a little for a drizzle

To make:

Prepare tomato soup, according to package directions. Stir in pre-made quinoa, fresh herbs and Tabasco (or other hot sauce) to taste. Ladle into bowls and drizzle a little olive oil on top, to float.




No comments:

Post a Comment